Ethiopians and Eritreans in Switzerland demonstrate against misinformation and Foreign Interference, backing the Government’s Handling of Tigray Conflict
GENEVA – Hundreds of demonstrators, mobilized by Ethiopian and Eritrean Diaspora Associations in Switzerland, gathered on the 15th March at the United Nations Office in Geneva, condemning suggestions for Foreign Interference by some UN Security Council Members States. They also urged the High Commissioner of Human Rights and other international organisations to refrain from echoing misinformation spread by the Tigray People Liberation Front (TPLF) lobbyists.
In a letter addressed to the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the organisers explained the origins of the unfortunate situation in Tigray, recalling that TPLF, an armed political movement that ruled Ethiopia from 1991 to 2018, perpetrated gross human rights violations that have been regularly reported to her desk. The legitimate operations in Tigray were triggered by the TPLF when its soldiers attacked a military post, killing federal forces.
They called for her office to bring its institutional capacity and experience to support Ethiopian authorities in investigating alleged crimes rather than echoing fabricated lies by paid agents of the TPLF. Through their slogans, the demonstrators also urged the UN, EU and the US not to be mislead by disinformation campaigns orchestrated by TPLF remnants.
The organizers also said that statements by the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the UN Office in Geneva, the US and EU were biased, and were based on organized disinformation. Such positions are tantamount to an unjust interference in Ethiopia’s internal affairs and an attack to its sovereignty.
- Les Éthiopiens et les Érythréens en Suisse manifestent à la Place des Nations contre la désinformation et l’ingérence étrangère, soutenant la gestion du conflit du Tigré par le Gouvernement – French for the local Swiss Media
- Ethiopians in Switzerland sent a letter to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Ethiopian Press Agency
- በጄኔቫ ኢትዮጵያውያንና ትውልደ ኢትዮጵያውያን የድጋፍ ሰልፍ እያካሄዱ ነው – Ethiopian News Agency
- በጄኔቫ ነዋሪ የሆኑ ኢትዮጵያውያን፣ ትውልደ ኢትዮጵያውያንና የኢትዮጵያ ወዳጆች የድጋፍ ሰልፍ አካሄዱ – Ethiopian Diaspora Agency
- የጄኔቫው ሰልፍ – FANA Broadcasting Corporation
- Diasporas’ mass rally in Geneva denounces misinformation – The Ethiopian Herald (Print)
VideosFANA Broadcasting Reportage
Before the 15th March የሰላማዊ ሰልፍ ጥሪ
Calling all Ethiopians and Eritreans in Switzerland to unite and stand up and the United Nations to condemn the TPLF criminal clique. Join the peaceful march at the UN Office in Geneva, Place des Nations, Genève